What does the American election mean for Canadian planting?

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
Thomas
Regular Contributor

What does the American election mean for Canadian planting?

Post by Thomas »

Well, what does it?
Steorra
Starting to Post

Re: What does the American election mean for Canadian planting?

Post by Steorra »

Well if it means anything bad for forestry in general its bad for tree planting obviously. There was worried talk about Ontario softwood export already, that i suppose would only affect Ontario planters. But if NAFTA is scraped as there was minor mentions of (nothing serious yet) that would affect really all Canada softwood exports. The US bought like 69% of our softwood or something so it could have a serious results. But the US is quite reliant on our lumber as its easier to transport then the second biggest supplier China. It'll be safe for this year I think cause most of the cuts will have been done and contracts picked up before any bombs drop. But its kinda hard to predict at this point after that.
Steorra
Starting to Post

Post by Steorra »

There's also better more informative answers on King Kong reforestation facebook page.
Last edited by Steorra on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by newforest »

The War in the Woods (Deer Season) breaks out tomorrow so I came inside for a few days.

Trump is being called the first "Reality President" because of his run on 'Reality' TV a while back. But most of his campaign promises are fairly far from reality.

I don't think he is truly a Republican. He is Trump and will likely do whatever he wants. The main Unemployment # used in the USA is 4.9% right now - not exactly hard times, and that is after our oil patches have slowed down considerably as the supply glut is world-wide. Keystone XL could be up against macro economic forces a bit more than regulatory forces.

But with unemployment that low, I'm not sure Trump will end up running around up-setting the apple cart all that much. Reality has it's ways to make people like a President-Elect realize certain things.

Which reminds me of my very favorite Laffy Taffy joke, printed on candy wrappers here and mostly written by and aimed at children, and quite apropos after basically the victory of the Tea Party, which has never been all that grounded in reality.

What is the hardest kind of Tea to swallow? Reality.

Of course what is fascinating to me is what will the American election mean for American planting? I am mostly set for work right now, running saws for OK prices. But I know how I will answer the calls that come in for planting - labor supply will be tightening up, therefore the price of labor will be going UP. I expect declines on the first call and then a call-back later. Sorry, corporations and rich land-owners that expect they can get people to do things for minimum wage...
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by newforest »

also re: the U.S. economy and the timber business, a famous statistic here is "U.S. Housing Starts". I wouldn't be surprised if this stat correlates with tree-planting volumes on a certain amount of time lag, depending also on the various states of the US/Canada Softwood Lumber Agreement over the decades.

http://www.macrotrends.net/1314/housing ... ical-chart

There are all kinds of odd things that impact timber prices here, and thus decisions to harvest. A consultant I work with keeps me up on prices somewhat and he tells me a lot of price movement in the USA depends on China's economy for many hardwood species, as they have been big buyers for a while (though not of softwood lumber). Also style/fashion trends in furniture, including in Europe, make the prices of Sugar Maple and Red Oak move around regularly.

And ironically, the cancellation of Keystone XL drove demand for some other species, generally #2 grade deciduous material, which made many timber owners happy. It seems that without the pipeline, the railroads on the Great Plains have such high traffic volumes that they are wearing out the ties under the tracks faster than normal, and thus the rail-road tie market has been expanding steadily. But regen of any of the species in these two paragraphs has little to do with planting however.