Asthma attacks among planters

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Asthma attacks among planters

Post by jdtesluk »

Interesting story our of Australia

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/wor ... story.html

It seems thunderstorms can weaponize some allergens, and cause more serious reactions among persons with asthma...sometimes fatal.

It makes me curious about how asthma is managed by planters, and if there have been any notable experiences during thunderstorms in our environment. I'm not sensitive to allergens, but I can pretty much taste it in the air in April and May.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Asthma attacks among planters

Post by Scooter »

Interesting. I saw this story last night and was also thinking about posting it.

I had asthma as a child, and it occasionally annoys me during the summer. My reaction is usually a reaction that can be mitigated by anti-histamines. However, I think I probably average about three people in camp (out of 50-60) each year who carry inhalers such as ventalin, sabutamol, etc.

Strangely, the biggest allergen that causes problems for me is mice. I didn't realize this for quite a few years.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

You really have to stop snorting mice.
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

Quick fact, if the inhalers aren't working for someone having an asthma attack or issues and the OFA3 is far away etc, an epipen will also dilate the bronchial tubes.

I carry an epipen for exactly this reason, as trying to regulate breath and not freak out while waiting for an OFA3 to arrive with oxygen is scary as hell and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone ever.

I've stopped doing summer plant for two reasons:
1) wasps - not ashamed to admit I have the fear
2) allergy induced asthma, my allergies peak in July

As for the rest of the season, I do notice a difference in my breathing when there's a storm rolling in, and I definitely use my inhaler when it's raining often but it's manageable.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I did a bit more reading. I'm guessing that this type of event is extremely unlikely in our industry. Seems the main culprits are grasses such as certain types of rye. Whole pollen season can be irritating for some, the cellular structure of tree pollens may not be as prone to being "weaponized" by lightning. I think we're safe for now :)

Lightning pollen...sounds like some sort of Pokemon attack.