Short Hair, Don't Care.

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
LiconC
Regular Contributor

Short Hair, Don't Care.

Post by LiconC »

What are people's thoughts on planting with long hair? It seems like a major nuisance, especially during spring when it is rainy and cold and hair doesn't have a chance to fully dry, yet a huge amount of male and female planters alike rock some flow. I am of the suspicion that long hair has a cultural value that outweighs its impractical aspects (keeping it dry, washing it, getting it caught on slash etc).
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Short Hair, Don't Care.

Post by jdtesluk »

Ha! Love that this is a post.
I chopped my pony tail off after my 4th year planting. Didn't miss it. Probably the biggest change was surfing, and not feeling like I was drowning in seaweed every time I duck dived. As for cultural value, I would say "personal value". It is simply an aesthetic for some, a vanity for others...for very few is it truly a cultural value.

My take is this. Do you see yourself as a 40 year old with long hair? If yes, great. Care for your mane accordingly.
If you see yourself at 40 with shorter hair, or pursuing a career in which shorter hair is preferred, better to make that switch sooner than later. Be the person you aspire to be.

Also, for what it's worth:
> Cops profile people. They look at more than just skin color. Long hair on a dude carries certain stereotypes. On a women, not so much. I'm not judging, but I know that others do.
> Ticks are harder to find and remove in long hair.
> Long hair in a camp, with a big wet mop soaking into your pillow. Meh.
>Never ever heard of someone getting their hair caught on slash
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I've had my hair caught in slash.

I feel like I'm quite a bit colder when I have short hair, due to wind or rain on the back of the neck.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

I also love that this is a post.

I have a friend that was paranoid about ticks and being able to wash it etc. for her first season so she cut her hair shorrrrrt and then showed up to camp and was surprised to see she was the only one who'd done this. She rocked that hair though. Seeing pics of the blockstyle in the 90's is something else.

For my two cents.... Even though I feel like I move through land with the spacial awareness of my head space, I get my locks caught in everything. They are down to my waist but I usually wear them up in some bird nest pineapple style do - slashy, fill and burn blocks are quite fun cuz it's like a search and rescue in there for all the bits and pieces.

Rainy days suck but I've worked out a system of fleece/headwear to get it less wet. All I can say is that those shamwow things are awesome.

Point is this - hair grows back. If it's a nuisance, cut it...?
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Wow. I truly underestimated the hazard of long hair mixed with slash.
Better be careful, or ya'll might have to start wearing hairnets!

;)