Watch out for Spam

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Watch out for Spam

Post by Scooter »

Hey for all of the regulars here, I was able to enable a "spambot-free" version of automatic registrations a few weeks ago. It's been working fairly well, for the most part, and hasn't let any automated spam-bots through yet.

However, one spammer DID get through. I'm pretty sure it was done by a real human (whom I immediately deleted and banned). Which means that I'll have to keep a close eye on things, to make sure this doesn't turn into a problem.

The post in question had a link in the middle of text which had an alias on the link, rather than being a full URL link. So you can probably spot risks that way. An example of something to be cautious about would be if you see something like the following type of comment from an unrecognized username, especially if it looks like it has bad punctuation, bad grammar, or doesn't quite make sense in English:

This sentence is an example of the type of link that you need to watch out for.

Here's the way that a regular user would probably post, without cloaking the URL:

This sentence is an example of the way that a regular user usually posts, without the following URL being cloaked:
http://financialrounds.blogspot.ca/2008 ... ammer.html
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Watch out for Spam

Post by Scooter »

Follow-up: I banned three new registrations related to the above. All from the same IP range (which I've now blocked from the site). Real people, getting paid to create spam from India. I wonder if they're on a piece-rate. Our brethren.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)