Difference between Northern and Southern BC interior?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
pluto
Starting to Post

Difference between Northern and Southern BC interior?

Post by pluto »

Wondering if anyone can give a good idea of the differences in the kind of land you'll be getting in the south compared to Northern BC? (And central interior? Is that a thing?)

I've only planted contracts based out of PG, so I have a pretty good idea of what you get with Northern interior contracts. I'm curious how Southern interior compares. I have this idea that the land isn't generally as fast in the south and quality specs are higher (i.e. guidelines on screefing, obstacles, etc.) but also so are prices. And that if you're looking to get out to the coast without coastal experience, experience in the southern interior will be looked at by employers as more valuable compared to experience in the north due to northern interior land generally being less challenging. I also have the impression that on average, you can make better money in the south. (ON AVERAGE. If you wanna tell me about that ONE time you had to plant trees seven feet deep in moon rock using hammerdrills and the remnants of your soul for 11 cents even though every other planter who ever worked out of Princeton told you it was gonna be a dream, go nuts but be forewarned I am not a professionally trained therapist, and those are not the drones I'm looking for.)

SO. I'd like for any folks who have planted both north and south to let me know if these impressions I have are pretty accurate or just ass backwards fairytales, or somewhere in between. Cause you know when you have information stored in your brain and you're not sure if it comes from conversations with people you trust, or from late night talk show interviews you had with a toothless professional backgammon player who's niece's ex-boyfriend's dog's former owner once planted trees in Alaska before it was cool, and you're not sure if it was maybe actually a dream? Yeah that's what I can't figure out now.
TripleS
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Difference between Northern and Southern BC interior?

Post by TripleS »

Planting around Princeton probably won't help too much with landing a spot on a coastal contract, but if you can work a contract in the Koots or Blue River, that would probably help. With the delays occuring on the Coast this season, there might not be a better time than now for getting on to a coastal contract.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Pluto- you provide a fairly good summary of the situation. I would say that there is more variation than just the "one time with the hammerdrill", and there are plenty of jobs in the Okanagan and Thompson area that are virtually indistinguishable from northern jobs based on the land and specs (and employer). Also, the differences and earnings you describe were perhaps more profound in the past, and are less evident today. I would suggest that the difference in earnings is not only part of the work, but also part of the different pools of workers with more long-time vets active in the south. That being said, there is certainly a difference in the companies that generally dominate the work landscape north vs south. This is partly to do with the clientele they serve, partly due to historic areas of activity, and indeed partly due to the fact that the Kootenays and the Columbia region (Revvie, Golden, Malakwa, Nakusp, Nelson etc) are more similar to the coast than the central interior, and that skilled vets are relied upon more heavily in those regions. Northern jobs also seem to be higher volume bigger jobs, tackled by some of the larger companies.

If your goals is to work on the cost, southern experience would be an asset, and Triple S pretty much nails it in that regard. Kootenays, Blue River, Revvie, Golden, and also some of the northwest stuff (Terrace if you get an opportunity to work there). Having a reputation for great quality and steady (not necessarily huge) production is also a key asset. Having skills and tickets is handy because many of the other planters seeking work on the coast have these. It's good to contact a few companies (or one you're really interested in), make a connection, and let them know your goal...and that you want to work on the coast, if not now, perhaps in the future. Sometimes it takes a connection and for someone to vouch for you. Smaller companies (which tend to rule the coast) tend to have a very personal connection with their crew, and want to ensure that a new hire will fit in, as their hires may stick around for 8 to 10 years or more. Northern companies (no disrespect) tend to have shorter tenures among their planters. They still want quality people coming in the door, but they know that door is likely to be rotating faster than others.

I applied to the same coastal company 3 times before they hired me. You can always just persist until they relent. :)
pluto
Starting to Post

Post by pluto »

TripleS wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 pm With the delays occuring on the Coast this season, there might not be a better time than now for getting on to a coastal contract.
TELL ME MORE !!!
Has the weather just sent everyone into a frenzy of trying to get the same amount done but in waaaay less time so a lot of companies are needing more people? You reckon a good course of action right now could be to start sending some messages to coastal companies? (Dare I ask if you've heard rumours of any specific companies looking for more planters?)
jdtesluk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:23 pm That being said, there is certainly a difference in the companies that generally dominate the work landscape north vs south. This is partly to do with the clientele they serve, partly due to historic areas of activity, and indeed partly due to the fact that the Kootenays and the Columbia region (Revvie, Golden, Malakwa, Nakusp, Nelson etc) are more similar to the coast than the central interior, and that skilled vets are relied upon more heavily in those regions. Northern jobs also seem to be higher volume bigger jobs, tackled by some of the larger companies.
Thanks for explaining these differences! Aside from southern companies often being smaller and having more vets, are there any other differences worth mentioning?

Cheers to both of ya for the replies! You pretty much cleared up this mystery for me.
TripleS

Post by TripleS »

^^ It's just a feeling that most Coastal contractors are probably at least a week behind schedule and things are still iffy as it doesn't appear to be warming up much. Anyway, when it does warm up and things finally get going, there could be some spots available as contractors try to meet deadlines or get coastal work finished before their interior seasons begin.