Is it worth getting hopes up?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Jacktheplant
Starting to Post

Is it worth getting hopes up?

Post by Jacktheplant »

Hey guys! I'm an experienced tree planter, I work in the UK, (England and Scotland). I love the job crazy right. :lol:
I do work as a chainsaw operative when the planting season is over as well.

I just wanted to know how easy would it be for a 22 years of age individual like me to find tree planting work in the likes of Canada and Australia, I keep getting mixed responses from people saying it won't be worth it etc.

It's seriously my dream to plant across the globe.

I feel like I have to know someone over in that country to get some work, any advice would be spot on, cheers.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Re: Is it worth getting hopes up?

Post by Nate »

The main issue is Visas, which I know little about. Get a Visa and you'll get a job. Canada is better than Australia for planting work in terms of wages from what I understand.

Through the treeplanting world you can find chainsaw work. Chainsaw work is broken into two primary categories, "falling" and "slashing". "Falling" requires certification that can be expensive and time-consuming to get, unless you have something that will be recognized as equivalency. "Slashing" requires much less certification to do, though you still need to get a one or two day course. Been a while since I've been around slashing, so not sure.

You don't need to know someone, just get email companies listed on this site. You've pretty much missed this season though. The Canadian season goes BC Coastal Spring (March-May) Everywhere (May-August) BC Coastal Fall (September). You will likely not find coastal work, but you should be able to easily find May-August work either in BC, Alberta or Ontario. I recommend BC. I wouldn't do it without a Visa though, you open yourself up to getting screwed hard even if you find someone willing to hire you - there have been horror stories of guys without visas getting screwed before. Good luck.