Fuck Flagging

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
LiconC
Regular Contributor

Fuck Flagging

Post by LiconC »

I think that most people would agree with these statements:
-Flagging trees sucks balls.
-Flagging in the wind sucks balls.
-Flagging in the rain sucks balls.
-Flagging on a beautiful day sucks balls.
-Flag popping out of your pouch sucks balls.
-Running out of flag sucks balls.
-Flag stuck on your foot is mildly annoying, but I'd say it still sucks balls.
-Flagging high sucks balls.
-Carrying logs and scoring rolls (if thats your thing) sucks balls.
-Flagging while planting ambi sucks balls.
-Flagging red or pink while planting with someone with RG colourblindness sucks balls.
-Flag on a heli rotor sucks balls.
-Experimenting with 17 different flagging techniques such as loading it into your pouch, using a carabiner, or backbagging it, and then never finding a technique that seems vastly superior SUCKS BALLS.

Here is my question: How can I stop this flagging nonsense? I know that some planters do it, and it seems to depend on a planter's ability to see trees, manage land, and know where they've been/ where they are going. Does anyone on Replant plant without flagging? Does anyone have any tips or strategies on how to plant without flagging, or how to cultivate the ability to do so?
Attachments
IMG_2034.jpg
IMG_2034.jpg (84.23 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Fuck Flagging

Post by jdtesluk »

Fairly comprehensive list, but you missed a few.
-Paying for flagging tape sucks balls
-Having YOUR flagging tape be the one trailing 100 feet out the back of the pick-up sucks balls
-Being sent in to finish an unflagged piece sucks balls
-Having last choice of only crap flag colors sucks balls

Lots of coastal planters use minimal, and rely on area planting up to natural boundaries. Very few do totally without, and often it is expected by the company that you plant in a manner that permits others to fill your piece later, which at least means flagging your last line. How you flag does make a difference. I liked to grab flagging first, then my tree. This kept the flagging on the ground close to the tree, and minimized blow-away. Often my flag is partially buried, making it a good marker for seeing the tree later. Certainly the tupper-ware flag-holder seems to work well. You just need the right hole set-up so the flag doesn't get sucked back in.

Those hands look Palmolive soft and clean. What kind of gloves are ya' using? :)
newforest

Post by newforest »

I never use it except in shoulder high stuff. Filling the land with the correct density is a big part of where the skill is in the trade. The seedlings aren't free. Not everyone can think "spatially" though and in the era of GPS telling humans what to do I suspect that ability is declining even more. It's really just a question of focus and paying attention to one's surroundings. Short Attention Span Theater is not a good look in tree planting.

I like the idea of just flagging at the end of the day, in case anything changes.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I'm not sure why you're limiting your frustration to flagging. I'd suggest broadening out to the planting industry in general.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Scooter wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:26 pm I'm not sure why you're limiting your frustration to flagging. I'd suggest broadening out to the planting industry in general.
I think one may run out of balls to suck in very short order.

Ok, I just wrote that. Please go back in thread to understand the context. Really. Seriously. I do not want to be misunderstood in this particular situation.
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

Flagging saves you from sucking the same balls twice. Who would want to do that.

bhappy
Regular Contributor

Post by bhappy »

Flagging has it's place.... but that doesn't mean you always need it.

I think two things are important here...
(1) Practice makes perfect
I think, generally, practice makes perfect in this situation. Learn to look for your TREES and not for flag. You will need to train your eyes to see trees. So when you have a super nice creamy piece or something clear enough where you will likely see your trees, don't flag. Look for your trees. You might have to go a bit slower to get a bit faster in the long run. It's an investment in your skills. When I flag, I rarely flag the actual tree, since I tend to flag after the flag is an approximation of where my trees is. I am usually looking for trees, I might use the flag as a guideline.

(2) Spatial awareness is the only way to get good at flagging (if you're in lalaland all the time....you will not succeed)
Start paying attention...lots of people flag, look for flag, rely on flag, because they don't want to pay attention. Become spatially aware, learn to area plant, plant up to natural boundaries, high flag areas. When you high flag areas or high slash, you minimize your flagging. You're doing yourself a favour by marking the boundary you have planted up to but not overdoing. The more you do this the better you become at not flagging. If you pay attention to where you are planting you will have a good idea of the land you have covered and will get better at not flagging. For example, flag tops of stumps, high slash, fallen logs, etc.

Get a good sense of spacing, how many steps you take, etc.

(Like any other thing, there will occasionally be double plants, but if you do this right, you will likely not be constantly double planting).

Get good at determining what situations you NEED to flag in and which ones you do not need to. Some land will require it and others won't.

This one is just a point for good etiquette:
(3) If you aren't going to finish your land, don't be an asshole and flag your last line.
This one is seems obvious... just do it. It doesn't take that much time and your fellow crew-mates will not hate you.

As for when you do flag, I can't speak for ambi planting, but I have heard that the small square rubbermaid is an awesome thing. Otherwise just put a second flagging punch on your other side. You can also put snaps on, they are more reliable than the velcro that wears.