3-1 Shifts

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
redxiv7
Regular Contributor

3-1 Shifts

Post by redxiv7 »

Hey everyone.

I'm looking to apply to any companies that are known for doing 3-1 shifts for their seasons. Could anyone give me some leads?
I only know about 3 or 4 companies that do this but I want to get as many applications out as I can in the next couple of weeks, preferably in BC.

Edit: Companies (3-1 in BC):

A&G
Apex
Artisan
Brinkman
Coast Range
Dynamic
*Folklore (Scooter's Camp: Mix of 3-1 & 4-1)
Hybrid-17
Nata
Summit
Zanzibar
Last edited by redxiv7 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: 3-1 Shifts

Post by Scooter »

Brinkman and Apex in the north do 3&1's for certain. Well, Brinkman does that everywhere.

Many if not most southern Interior companies do 3&1's if working out of motels, although some do a 5-on 2-off to have weekends off, or 4/3/3 then a weekend off, and this is even more frequently the case with the smaller companies that use mostly local planters.

I do a mix of both 3&1'S and 4&1's in my camp at Folklore, depending on the time of season and other factors, and I think other camps do the same.

I'm not certain about any of the other companies.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by jdtesluk »

First crew I knew of doing 3-1's was Gord Saunder's Zanzibar crew in Canal Flats. It is definitely getting more traction in the industry, primarily due to the perceived reduction of burn-out among the planters. As Gordie explained it to me, that 4th day of a 4-1 is so often a bummer, where people kind of mail it in. With 3-1s, people come out of the gates fast, and on day 3 are pretty much going at peak production with no let-up. The real key, however, is having ace management staff that always keep people in the trees until the clock strikes 5 (or 4:30 if that's your thang). You simply cannot let your day-3's be part days, and your forepersons need to have a masterful handle on how to wrap up blocks and leave them in good shape for any return or clean up.

I would argue it also caters well to a more professional crew (generally more experienced), because you need consistency in the planters that you can rely upon for planning (see above), and to leave pieces in good shape (not creamed or janky). Second, all those days off can result in perhaps excess partying with crews that are there for a good time, but not necessarily a productive time.
CreamDolphin
Regular Contributor

Post by CreamDolphin »

Scooter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm Brinkman and Apex in the north do 3&1's for certain. Well, Brinkman does that everywhere.

Many if not most southern Interior companies do 3&1's if working out of motels, although some do a 5-on 2-off to have weekends off, or 4/3/3 then a weekend off, and this is even more frequently the case with the smaller companies that use mostly local planters.

I do a mix of both 3&1'S and 4&1's in my camp at Folklore, depending on the time of season and other factors, and I think other camps do the same.

I'm not certain about any of the other companies.
Not quite everywhere is 3-1s for Brinkman, I worked in Ontario for them and it was 4-1s all season.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Thanks. Didn't know that.

redxiv7
Regular Contributor

Post by redxiv7 »

I tend to forget to check this forum after I post. Appreciate all the replies you guys have given. Here's a list of companies known to run 3-1 shifts. I'll edit it into the main post and add to both as we get more names for future reference.

Companies listed (3-1 in BC):

A&G
Apex
Artisan
Brinkman
Coast Range
Dynamic
Hybrid-17
Nata
Summit
Zanzibar

Folklore: Scooter's camp does a mix of 4-1 & 3-1 shifts - AFAIK all other Folklore camps run primarily 4-1 shifts for most of their seasons.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

All of the Folklore camps do 3&1's for the first four shifts, then switch to 4&1's once everyone is in decent physical condition for planting harder. Mine may be the only one that sometimes moves back to 3&1's later in the season, depending on a number of different factors (deadlines, daily production, logistical challenges, weather, etc.). I'm not certain if any of the other Folklore camps do the same.

redxiv7
Regular Contributor

Post by redxiv7 »

I should have clarified that Folklore does have a "ramp-up" period at the beginning of the season where they all run 3-1 shifts. Sorry for the confusion, Scooter.

Thanks.