Zanzibar Holdings Ltd.

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
replant
Site Administrator

Zanzibar Holdings Ltd.

Post by replant »

This thread is devoted to gossip and discussion for employees and stakeholders of Zanzibar Holdings Ltd.

This company is believed to work predominantly in British Columbia.

Their last known contact information is:

#204 1801 Welch St,
North Vancouver, BC
V7P 1B7
Phone: (604) 731-0526
FAX: (604) 980-1394
the_dude
Replant Forums Highballer

Zanzibar Holdings

Post by the_dude »

So, these guys have pretty much the best rep going. Either no-one who works for them is willing to speak up and ruin a great thing, or no-one has anything to say about them really...Which one is it? What's Tony's deal and how is Merritt?
Slash Monkey

Re: Zanzibar Holdings

Post by Slash Monkey »

you're right on the first account.
barnbill

Post by barnbill »

Slash Monkey has it dialed. Legendary company.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

I agree with barnbill, but not with slash monkey.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
retired_planter
Starting to Post

Post by retired_planter »

I worked for Zanzibar for 3 seasons and got very fed up with favoritism and the attitude of Tony Harrison. Zanzibar has some good planters but as far as being a "legendary" company I have to laugh. Its such a lot of HYPE. Zanzibar is good but so are a number of other companies, most of which don't have such high opinions of themselves. Zanzibar is like a cult where if you work for them you pretty much have to drink the koolaid which says there is no other like Z'bar. I planted very high quality trees but not as fast as the fastest highballers so I usually got relatively shitty ground. It was quite interesting one season when another Z'bar highballer and I were both side by side planting for another contractor - my numbers were just about as high, though when we both were at Zanzi I rarely planted the numbers D the highballer did...but when we were put on similar ground my numbers were just about as high.

The food and equipment is good at Zanzibar, but there is too much favoritism. Working for other companies I made more money because I wasn't given crap ground by some of Zanzibar's foremen. I don't recommend Zanzibar at all due to their cult like behaviour.
Last edited by retired_planter on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

?
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

I'm calling shennanigans on this, at least temporarily... From the Zanzibar planters (ok, the one Zanzibar planter) I've known, this doesn't seem to make alot of sense. The bids I've seen make this company look good, the money I know can be made there makes this company look good, and from the pay structure I've seen, planter favoritism doesn't seem to make alot of sense.
I'd need this guy to back up his claims a little more, and identify himself a little bit before I gave any credence to his claims. Not saying he's lying at all, just saying he needs to back it up a little more.
mcD

Post by mcD »

jdtesluk wrote:?
what happened to your post?
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I don't want to get too far into a battle of perspectives here. I love Zanzibar, I think it's a great company. Is it possible for someone to come and have a totally different experience than most other people based on their particular contract/supervisor or they way they fit it? Yes, totally.
Is it the land of milk and honey 24/7? No.
Do you have to work your ass off to keep up with the h-ballers? Yes.
There have been some amazing contracts, and some tough ones, yes-just like most companies.

I will say this though- over the past 3-4 years they have worked harder to increase the consistency between contracts, and there has been closer attention to ensuring that administration and supervision is executed according to plan. Knowing the crowd here, and the way the company does operate, I know there will be a quick response for some to argue against this person's portrayal of Zanzibar. I would be the first to say this person has it wrong. But that would kind of be beside the point.

Reviews are just limited snapshots from limited perspectives (my own included). If you work for what you think is a great company, and someone dumps on it, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to argue against their experience. Take it in context with all the other posts. Remember, there are companies with rather questionable reputations, about which some people have really good things to say. THis doesn't necessarily mean that they're lying. They just had a different experience than you, or the person you know who worked there.

Perspective is a funny thing, if you come from a really good set-up at one company to learning the ropes at a new one, it might seem like the new place is over-rated. When it comes to highballing, a lot of it can be comfort level. I plant way faster at Z-bar than other companies because I know exactly what to do, and what the tolerances are. When I go elsewhere, I expect to be checked a lot more closely (cause I'm the new guy) and I don't want to have them crap on my quality, so I tend to have lower numbers. It probably took me 3 seasons at Z-bar before I could just totally let it rip and go full throttle. Their quality expectations can be very particular. Not necessarily tighter, but particular. As for good ground, everyone knows perspective on that subject is a bit dodgy. I can say this though, I pay attention to my ground, not the ground of the person next to me, that's what matters most.

When you hear a profoundly negative review on what you think is a good company (perhaps one where you worked a lot), think about the perspective it may be coming from, and how your own view might even be a bit jaded. All I can say is that I'm sorry retired-planter didn't have the same experience I did, I love Zanzibar, but I'm open to the fact that not everyone goes for the same ride.
Last edited by jdtesluk on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pontius Pilatus
Regular Contributor

Post by Pontius Pilatus »

You're going against the current on this one Retired planter. Unpopular opinions always need way more defending regardless of their veracity.

I'd love to hear more from you though, you have worked 3 seasons for them so I'm definitely open to your take on this company. I only worked a Spring season for Zanzibar so I am in no position to confirm or infirm what you are saying, but with that I am still open to what you have to say and would like to get more insight (if possible) from you.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

I've only ever heard good things about Zanzibar.

Plus, I tried to hit on one of their planters last year in Victoria, not realizing her boyfriend and said boyfriend's posse were sitting next to her. They were kind enough not to throw me through the window, which I appreciated.
sylvan
Starting to Post

Post by sylvan »

I currently work with Zanzibar. I've worked with three other companies and this will be my second year with Z'bar. I'm on Gord's side of things so i know nothing of Tony. I see Zanzibar as one of the best companies going. High tree prices, experienced supervisors/foreman, amazing parties and people, pay 25/hour for any extra labour including reefers, very organized, great camp set-up/ hygienic, new equipment, great food, wine for dinner...nothing to complain about.
Last edited by sylvan on Mon May 11, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hans Blotto
Starting to Post

Post by Hans Blotto »

Ya that was really interesting R.P. the story about planting beside the z-bar highballer at another contract and you almost kept up....really an interesting story......really intrigued by that story....any more great stories?????......please share......will ya???? please....huh? if you think darren duff gets good ground, tie a rope to his back and let him drag you through the gullies, rock slides and 500 tree runs to the back that he's been doing there forever and then re-evaluate your "interesting" post.....
dogfucker#36
Starting to Post

Post by dogfucker#36 »

i've worked for 8 companies over 10 seasons on the coast and in the interior in bc as well as alberta, saskatchewan and ontario as both a planter and foreman. so far the best operation i have seen or heard of. i have worked for zanzibar on 5 contracts throughout bc and it's always been good. extremely well organized, amazing level of talent and experience within the company and prices that are hard to match. if you're more a 'bc' planter than an 'alberta' planter (quality vs. quantity instead of quantity vs. quality) than this is the place to aim for. i've only worked for gord so can't speak for tony's side and have had nothing but good experience and the best cash to speak of. be prepared to take a bite of humble pie when you show up, a lot of folk have 10+ years experience and don't bat an eye to someone who has highballed a northern contract. this is the bigtime. and it's worth it.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

http://www.zanzibar.ca/carbon_projects.htm

above is a link to info on a project zanzibar is working on. it's really nice to see a company thinking outside the box like this, and being creative in how they source their work. i think this sort of think is almost a knee-jerk reaction to falling bid prices industry-wide, by moving towards more specialized work that not necessarily every outfit can obtain. this is just one reason that zanzibar will, in my opinion, always be at the cutting edge of our industry.
East

Re: Zanzibar Holdings Ltd.

Post by East »

Any updates on this company?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

They're still good.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
East

Post by East »

Thanks Scooter :lol: :lol:
East

Post by East »

Anyone with Zanzibar Experience want to share some wisdom?
How's their coastal contracts?
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Zanzibar used to pretty much rule the roost on South Island work, with long-term jobs in Nanaimo, Cowichan, and Port Renfrew. Very good money, motels, and respectable commutes. With the decline of prices on the coast, they pretty much decided that they would not even try to compete with the insanity that was occurring in that area, and shuttered their coastal operations for several years, running only a skeleton crew for a while. Over the last few years, they've slowly worked back into the island market, bit in Sooke, bit in Shawnigan, bit on the lower mainland, bit here and there. the owners do think outside the box, and could have work in new areas at any time. Still a very limited amount of work compared to what they used to hold, and really only scraps for a company that runs up to a 100 in the interior. Thus, it is very very hard to get on the coast if you are not experienced with the company. When work is available, commuters are welcome if they are in the right location. The work and prices is as decent as can be found in any decent company. But as things go on the south and mid-island, the prices will simply never be significantly above market, because the foresters simply won't allow that to happen. However, you will get excellent leadership, first class organization, and respectful treatment.